The ICC – International Cricket Council is the governing body to control the game – Cricket throughout the globe was founded in 1909 named as Imperial Cricket Conference, renamed as International Cricket Conference in 1965 and renamed again in 1989 as International Cricket Council. The ICC is responsible for the entire operations related with Cricket. Mainly the test cricket and the one day matches were there to entertain the viewers till 2007 but then a sensation was brought to uncover the excitement for the lovers of cricket – The T-20.
A 20 overs match providing the fun and adrenaline of smashing the ball to the boundary ropes in a limited time thrilled the crowd and the players. The world cup for the T-20 matches was organized in 2007 for the first time. Some of the interesting facts about T-20 are:
- The first T-20 match was played between Australia and New Zealand on 17th of Feb. 2005 at Auckland. Australia scored 214-5 with the fantastic blow of Ricky Pontings’s 98 off 62 balls and beat New Zealand who could make only 170 with the best score of 66 from Scott Styris.
- The first four was hit by Andrew Symonds and the first Six was hit by Michael Clark of Australia. The first wicket in T-20 goes in account of Daeryl Tuffey and the first batsman to loose the Wicket was Michael Clark of Australia.
- The batsman to score a century in The T-20 match was Chris Gayle of West Indies scoring 117 against South Africa in 2007 in the first T-20 World Cup.
- The first T-20 world cup was hosted by South Africa. India was the champion of the first world cup beating Pakistan in The Wanderers Stadium at Johannesburg.
- Pakistan was the winner if the World T-20 championship beating Sri Lanka at Lords in 2009.
- England won its first ever world title by beating Australia in 2010 T-20 world cup played in West Indies.
- West Indies won the T-20 championship in 2012 against Sri Lanka and In 2014 Sri Lanka was victorious.
- Sri Lanka holds the record of playing maximum T-20 world finals by playing 3 finals so far.
- Sri Lanka holds the record of the largest margin of victory against Kenya by 172 runs.
- Sri Lanka also holds the record of Highest innings total with 260 runs against Kenya.
- Netherlands has the minimum innings total with only 39 runs.
- Brendon McCullum of New Zealand holds the record of maximum individual score in an innings by scoring 123 against Bangladesh. However the maximum individual score in any T-20 international match was made by Aaron Finch of Australia against England in 2013.
- The Indian Sensation Virat Kohli holds the record of best average in T-20 matches with an average of 53.55.
- Virat Kohli also holds the record of scoring maximum runs in the world T-20 championships.
- West Indies hold the record of the best successful chase in the history of T-20 world championship chasing 236 against South Africa.
- South Africa beat Pakistan in 2007 securing a place in the World Records of the T-20 world Championships in terms of largest victory by wickets.
- New Zealand has played maximum Tied matches in T-20 matches resulting in super over and bowl out situations.
- Shihid Afridi is the highest wicket taker in T-20 world cup.